Foolproof Slow-Roasted Pork Shoulder
- 1.5kg boneless pork shoulder roast
- For the Spice Rub:
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed red peppers
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt (not sea salt or table salt)
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Gather the ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 260 degrees.
- Mix all the spice rub ingredients together in a small bowl to form a paste.
- Smear it all over the roast. (You might have some left over, depending on the size of your roast.)
- Place the seasoned pork shoulder in a roasting pan with a rack and transfer it to the oven.
- Roast for 20 minutes, then lower the heat to 120 degrees and cook until your probe thermometer reads 60 degrees, which will take another 2 hours or so. The exterior of the roast will be a beautiful brown colour.
- Remove the roast from the oven, cover it loosely with foil, and let it rest for 15 minutes (during which time the temperature will continue to rise until it reaches the target temperature of 62 degrees).
- Slice and serve.
Recipe from thespruceeats.com