Devilled Mutton with Baked Spiced Pumpkin
- 1 leg of Mutton
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- Devil Mix:
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard (French or Mild English is best)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mace or nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 50 grams softened butter
- Baked Spiced Pumpkin:
- 700 grams- 1 kilogram firm-fleshed pumpkin
- ¼ cup desiccated or thread coconut
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom or ginger
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with foil. Lightly score the surface of the mutton, rub with the flour and place on the prepared tray.
Roast the mutton at 200 °C for 40 minutes. Stir the Devil mix ingredients together and spread half evenly over the mutton. Return the mutton to the oven, reduce heat to 160 degrees celsius and roast for a further 40 minutes.
Spread the remaining Devil mix over the mutton. Cut the pumpkin into 3-4 cm pieces and toss in a little oil along with the coconut and cardamom or ginger and scatter around the mutton. Cook for a further 40 minutes. Allow the mutton to rest for 10-15 minutes before carving, Serve the mutton and pumpkin garnished with fresh herbs.
Recipe from recipes.co.nz